Login | Register

Omnimancy Translator Page

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Omnimancy Translator Page

Postby LordArt » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:18 pm

As promised a while ago, an excerpt from the book A Seeker's Journey and Initiation into Wicca which has a few chapters on Omnimancy has been posted on the new Omnimancy Translator Page.

This is the first of three proposed concept bridge translations between different communities to Omnimancy for mutual understanding.

Take a look and tell me what you think!

Arthur
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Contrary » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 pm

Looks good.
-Adam
Contrary
The Contrary One
The Contrary One

Postby FireEssence » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:17 pm

Aside from some awkward sentence syntax at points, I found it a very good and fun read! :D I think it actually serves as a pretty good "translator" from general Wicca to Omnimancy. Sometimes it came off a lot more personally significant than it would be say, specific to the greater Wiccan community, but then, whenever you have a member of a tradition writing about their tradition from a general standpoint, you're going to have some level of that.

Can't wait to see the psion and Chaote ones though, since those are traditions I'm a lot more familiar with the intricacies of than modern Wicca.

(And in case anyone misinterprets my mention of sentence syntax, I'm not making a snipey comment or anything of the sort-- I'm just saying that at points the capitalization of certain words or the way sentences are setup is confusing or inaesthetically pleasing to ME. This is in no way a reflection of the greater public and thus, for the most part inconsequential as far as how I view the translation job.)

EDIT: I also just remembered that this was indeed excerpted from a book about someone's personal spiritual journey, and thus that makes the fact that I saw points where it "came off a lot more personally significant than it would be say, specific to the greater Wiccan community" a lot more understandable too, haha. Still a good read and a good 'translation' though.
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby Obsidian » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:34 am

I found it to be quite the good read. It also brought to mind some questions as to how someone (such as the author, who's name escapes me) can still value ceremony and ritual when she knows it's essentially superfluous to the goal.

I remember another Wicca/Hermetics to Omni mage who had the same difficulty. Sticking with traditional rituals even though Omni shows them to be unnecessary.

I've never been a ritual-based mage or person and I'm having so much trouble wrapping my head around why someone would (as it seems to me) willing choose to take longer and cast it less precisely.

Anyone willing to help clarify things for me? =/

Good overall translator, but like FE said, awaiting the Chaos Magic and (particularly) the Psionics one. Coming from a Psionic background it'll be nice to see how some of the more abstract things are 'translated'. Even though I've left a lot of the my strictly 'psionic' teachings behind it's hard to unlearn certain ways of looking at things. The translator should help be another step in the right direction =)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby LordArt » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:14 am

Obsidian wrote: It also brought to mind some questions as to how someone (such as the author, who's name escapes me) can still value ceremony and ritual when she knows it's essentially superfluous to the goal.

While I would like her to speak about such things, I already know the answer since I've had this conversation before with her and others. In this case, you are missing the point of the goal. The goal isn't to accomplish a material/practical thing. The goal is worship and the feeling that one gets from that communion in a religious sense. A concept that is completely alien to me, but others do and want. Most religious Omnis do Omni for when they are trying to accomplish something, and their normal ritual practices when they are worshiping their god(ess)(s)(es).

The other translators are in process. No ETA on them though. I wouldn't expect them for a while. (Believe it or not, there was a push for a psion to Omni translator back in 2003. I found the thread for that, but nothing came of it)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Obsidian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:54 am

I'd believe a translator was desired so far back. Hell, I've been haunting this place for almost that long and a translator would've made the world of difference initially =P

I think I understand what you mean with the ritual aspect. Seems I pretty majorly missed the point actually. But it raises a further question.

If they're able to immediately make direct contact with their Deity Of Choice and ask them directly what they would like, would the Deity still be pleased by a worship ritual?

It'd be like the presidents daugthers having to make an appointment to see Daddy... In my mind, anyway. Though I can kind've understand doing the ritual and appropriate worship to give you the religious satisfaction.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit =)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby LordArt » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 am

If they're able to immediately make direct contact with their Deity Of Choice and ask them directly what they would like, would the Deity still be pleased by a worship ritual?

That of course would depend on the Deity what they prefer overall. And direct contact is more direct conversation versus the spiritual connection they get in a ritual. Sort of like having a long time girlfriend. They'll talk to you anytime, but they'd still like candy and flowers from time to time anyways to show you care.

Any of the dieties/big entities I deal with don't care, and actually prefer that I talk to them the way I do when I bother to. However, I know that there are others that won't speak to you unless it's through their required rites. They see it as a sign of respect and knowing your place. I don't play that game so I don't associate with those entities. But being spiritual or religious isn't my path, so there you go.

But as you might imagine, seeing diety and "astral politics" the way we do, it does change a religious person, even as stated in the Q&A translator. You can't see what we see and not be changed. It either greatly strengthens your religious views or makes them disappear. And that is greatly dependant on reasons WHY one is religious which one occurs.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Return to Open Magical Discussion