Login | Register

Are you right brain or left brain dominant.

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

Does it spin clockwise, counter-clockwise, or both?

Clockwise (Right)
53%
Counter-Clockwise (Left)
18%
Both (?)
29%

Total votes : 17
  • Author
Are you right brain or left brain dominant.

Postby Syntax » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:03 pm

I thought this was pretty neat.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html

People often think of me as a left brain dominant person, but every test I've gone through says I'm right. This was by far the quickest and most fascinating test I've seen.

See if you can make it change its spin.
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby LightLink » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Niiice. I saw this 2 days ago actually. It went counter-clockwise then. It goes counter-clockwise now. And I can't seem to get it to spin the other way!
LightLink
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm able to get it to go both ways actually. Initially it went counter clockwise, then clockwise then back again. I have to "reposition" my mind to switch it.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Ogre » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:11 pm

both for me... it switched sometimes when I looked away, but not always.
-Ogre
Ogre
The Kinky Jesus
The Kinky Jesus

Postby Strider » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:42 pm

No matter how much I tried to refocus I can only see her going clockwise.
Fear me not, for I am not my friend Ogre...

OCP Issued Weapons:
For when you absolutely possitively need to rip a hole in the multiverse... or deal with your neighbors dog.
Strider
Head of OmniNorth
Head of OmniNorth

Postby LightLink » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:16 am

Oh I'm awesome. :P

Only counter-clockwise person so far! And it says that most people would see it counter-clockwise...
LightLink
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Oyama » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:58 pm

Clockwise. I can get her lifted leg to turn counter-clockwise when it's on the left side, but that's it.
Your anguish sustains me.

Madness is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!
Oyama
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Kiynethe » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:42 pm

I saw her clockwise, and got so frustrated trying to get her to turn counter-clockwise that I went away and did some math before I tried it again. It worked! =D
Kiynethe
Regular
Regular

Postby LightLink » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Maybe I should listen to some emotional music...

EDIT - Oh shi-! I was just looking at it all normal, and excited that it was actually going clockwise, and it just switched back to counter-clockwise right before my eyes. Man, it's amazing. :P
LightLink
Visitor
Visitor

Postby PsyFactor » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:04 pm

I see her going clockwise normally. However, if I focus on the feet (and specifically the shadow of the feet) for a moment, and time it right, when I look back up she's going counter-clockwise. Interesting effect.
PsyFactor
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Modron » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:38 am

This is incredibly frustrating. When I look at her directly on she only ever goes clockwise, but if I look away and catch her in my peripherary vision, she goes counter-clockwise. But as soon as I look back at her she is clockwise again, no matter how hard I try and make her go the other way.
Modron
New Student
New Student

Postby Paramemetic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:49 am

As a fun thing, this works marvelously, but this does not test right brain or left brain dominance, and in fact those things are myths - while it is true that there exist language structures (Broca's Area, Wernicke's Area, etc.) commonly in the left side of the brain (though variations occur), the brain's function simply doesn't divide this way. The manner in which one thinks, whether they are primarily emotive or primarily reasoning, and so further, has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance.

I don't remember the phenomenon that causes you to see it rotate one direction or the other, but I believe it has to do with reference points. It is an optical illusion. In fact, nearly everyone can cause this to rotate the "other direction" by changing where they look on it.

I'll report back when I find the phenomenon responsible. Sorry to be a scrooge, but this particular bit of pop psychology is almost as insidious as the "humans only use x% of their brain" bit.

Edit: This appears to be a variation of the Wagon-wheel effect, a type of stroboscopic effect. The spinner does not actually spin, it flips back and forth. This creates a temporal aliasing effect that allows us to perceive the dancer as spinning. Because she's not actually spinning, it's possible for her to appear to spin either direction, and as such it's possible for it to flip.

Which direction it begins spinning in has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance (itself a myth), but I'd not be surprised if it had something to do with eye dominance or perspective.
Paramemetic
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Jow » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:41 am

Mainly clockwise for me, but if I dont look at it directly it's counterclockwise. This is one wacky game show.
"Why look for meaning where there is none? Would you follow a path you know leads no where?"
-Query of the Mentat School
Jow
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Syntax » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:12 pm

Paramemetic wrote:As a fun thing, this works marvelously, but this does not test right brain or left brain dominance, and in fact those things are myths - while it is true that there exist language structures (Broca's Area, Wernicke's Area, etc.) commonly in the left side of the brain (though variations occur), the brain's function simply doesn't divide this way. The manner in which one thinks, whether they are primarily emotive or primarily reasoning, and so further, has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance.

I don't remember the phenomenon that causes you to see it rotate one direction or the other, but I believe it has to do with reference points. It is an optical illusion. In fact, nearly everyone can cause this to rotate the "other direction" by changing where they look on it.

I'll report back when I find the phenomenon responsible. Sorry to be a scrooge, but this particular bit of pop psychology is almost as insidious as the "humans only use x% of their brain" bit.

Edit: This appears to be a variation of the Wagon-wheel effect, a type of stroboscopic effect. The spinner does not actually spin, it flips back and forth. This creates a temporal aliasing effect that allows us to perceive the dancer as spinning. Because she's not actually spinning, it's possible for her to appear to spin either direction, and as such it's possible for it to flip.

Which direction it begins spinning in has nothing to do with hemispheric dominance (itself a myth), but I'd not be surprised if it had something to do with eye dominance or perspective.

Alrighty, but which way did it spin for ya?
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Paramemetic » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:45 pm

Syntax wrote:Alrighty, but which way did it spin for ya?

Both, depending on where on the page it was and where at it I looked, and whether I was looking directly at it.
Paramemetic
Visitor
Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion