Login | Register

The Server is Moving... Again

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
The Server is Moving... Again

Postby LordArt » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:08 pm

...IP addresses, anyways. It physically isn't moving. ;)

On 2/14/07, I'm moving to a higher bandwidth to a different ISP. While the DNSs cascade, the server will be unavailable. DNS servers usually update within 24-48 hours worst case.

Just alerting those that might actually care. :python:
Last edited by LordArt on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby LordArt » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:08 am

Well, It's finished. I have my new set of IP Addresses, this server being on one of them. (I haven't decided what to do with the others yet). In anycase, the MAIN reason for the move was my bandwidth GREATLY improved. I went from 3000/768 (or 320KB/sec Down / 85KB/sec up on average) to 20000/5000 (or 1933KB/sec Down / 566KB/sec Up (best so far via speed test sites)) for $10 more a month. (So yes, I went fiber optic now!)

So :rockn: :whee: :rockn: 8)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby DrFredbert » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:33 am

Tell me you don't have fiber at home.

If you do, I hate you.

That is all.
Dr. Fredbert
DrFredbert
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:15 am

Tell me you don't have fiber at home.

If you do, I hate you.

That is all.

Yep, it's fiber at my house. So I guess you hate me now. Won't be the first and won't be the last. ;)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Ogre » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Damn it, I hate you you for it sometimes, and I am your best friend. :)[/i]
-Ogre
Ogre
The Kinky Jesus
The Kinky Jesus

New Server Move

Postby LordArt » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:00 am

Well, I'm in process of moving the server from a Dual 550 (which I found out in the process of moving information that the original linux never reconized the second processor) to a Dual 1 Ghz with more RAM (From 640MB to 1 GB)

It's still running on the old server right now, but I screwed something up on the original server so it no longer recognized PHP, but fixed that and it seems ok for now.

I'll update here after the move is complete. (If there are any problems, tell me since I can't be 100% sure if anything else didn't get screwed up!)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby LordArt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Sorry that the Server was down all day yesterday until this afternoon. While hackers have been attempting to break in, in this case, it was me doing maintenance. It should be fine again. (If you want to know the details of what happened, see below)

There was a HD crash a while ago on the Array, and since then it hasn't been running in redundant mode. Which means if another one failed, I would have lost the server. I had replacement drives but none of them worked. Found out why...They were SLIGHTLY too small (18.1 vs 18.2 GB). But I knew that a while ago now, but that meant I had to backup the server and destroy the array and recreate it slightly smaller. Which is what I did yesterday and shouldn't have taken more than a few hours. But when do these things go the way they should?

Well, upon restoring everything, it wouldn't boot. I tried to reinstall grub, but it wouldn't install. So I've played around with it from reinstalling debian then copying over files (everything) to putting on a third party boot loader. Nothing worked. However, sleep usually gives you a better answer, so I tried grub again and found out the REASON why it was failing was that the partitions had switched (or rather the original partition numbers were wrong, but were right then). Basically the partition table was originally wonky. So grub couldn't find the OS where it use to be partition number wise. So I figuired out everything it needed, and it installed fine. Yet another learning experience....
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby LordArt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 pm

It's that time again...To migrate the server, because I have nothing else better to do on a weekend but yell at a machine. ;)

I'm posting this so you know why there is intermittent service. The old server's HDs are on their last legs (one of the arrays is being twitchy) and for deathfest, I need the extra power.

I'm going from dual 1 Ghz to dual 3.06 Ghz Xeons, from 1 GB RAM to 3 GB, and from an array of 18 GB HDs to 36 GB HDs (ie. a 50 GB OS partition to 100 GB). Also in the process is moving up to a newer kernal, etc. which is a good idea from a security standpoint. It's amazing what people throw out these days...
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby LordArt » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Migration is mostly complete. I'm still copying .5 TB of data to a new array, so the server might be a little sluggish, but it doesn't seem to be acting like it.

If anyone notices any issues, please tell me...Thanks!
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Return to General Discussion