Login | Register

Maybe they were smarter back then...

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Maybe they were smarter back then...

Postby ChaoticMind » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:44 pm

A very well known philosopher Emile Durkheim wrote a book, "The Elementary forms of religigous life". In it he is dicussing the concept of the soul through through the eyes of the romans, clan tribes, and native americans. This quote I found interesting.

"There is something objective at the basis of different ideas-whethere the Roman genius, the individual totem, or the ancestor of the Alcheringa. this is why they have survived in disparate forms until our own day. It is if we really had two souls: one that is inside us, or rather is us; the other that is above us, whose function is to control and assist us."

Heh really... you don't say... what a theory :wink:
Maybe there were just smarter back then...
P.S. This book was written in 1912, good description of a lower and inner, eh?
ChaoticMind
Research Student
Research Student

Postby FireEssence » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:40 am

Really concepts such as that have been prevalent in numerous cultures dating far back. So it's not that shocking to me.

As for people who were unaware fo that, I can see how it would be intriguing, hehe.

Emile Durkheim was quite an interesting man.
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby Sors » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:14 pm

One thing that points out the objectiveness or externalness of this part of the soul is the fact that one sacrifices to it.

The Genius, the Greek Agathodaimon and my own (Norse) Fylgya all received and recieve sacrifices.

Not true in all cultures though ofcoarse.
Well, actually...
Sors
Visitor
Visitor

Return to General Discussion