Login | Register

Commentary on Katrina and the aftermath...

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Commentary on Katrina and the aftermath...

Postby Ogre » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:44 pm

Very good blog entry...

http://www.brokentoys.org/?p=6835
-Ogre
Ogre
The Kinky Jesus
The Kinky Jesus

Postby StormSeeker » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:34 pm

I had a feeling that sort of thing was going on in New Orleans. They were even drafting in Salt Lake City Red Cross volunteers to help in the aftermath, it was on the news the other night.

I wonder whatever happened to prevention rather than clean-up. And it's not just the government either IMO. You'd think that in a situation such as this, hotel owners would charge a discount rate, or even put people up for free and not turn people away due to lack of money. And whatever happened to FEMA or the Red Cross setting up places out of the path of the storm that people could flock to who couldn't pay for a hotel? Or sending in buses and large vehicles to pick up those without their own transport?

I agree. This was NOT well organized at all. Florida dealt with their hurricane(s) much better. If you couldn't get out yourself, you were left, pretty much. That's wrong IMO, in any day and age. But worse in the day and age where we DO have measures in place to deal with these sort of emergencies.
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby FireEssence » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:23 pm

Florida's also got a good bit more experience under it's belt when it comes to the situation though.

A horrible thing nonetheless. I got lucky, my loved one is okay. I can only think how many people don't get that. Won't get that call saying "I'm okay!" Won't ever get to hear their loved ones' voice again...

=_=
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby StormSeeker » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:13 am

Florida's also got a good bit more experience under it's belt when it comes to the situation though.

How much experience does it take for people behind desks ie. the government, to realize that there are many people without transport and without sufficient funds to wait it out in hotels elsewhere...and either a) start mobilizing plans to deal with that BEFORE the hurricane hits...and b) ask neighboring states (such as the ones they're asking NOW) for help and to take some of the refugees before the disaster hit.

Had they done the latter, a few more thousand would probably be alive now.

Plus, when Florida got struck, people were rushing to aid them, before, during and after. The state of Louisiana had to ASK for help. Hell, there were people on the news tonight on the rooftops of partially submerged houses, surrounded by disease-ridden muddy waters, holding up signs with "Help us" in the hopes that someone might fly by or go by in a boat who could pick them up. It's pathetic. (And I might be being too harsh, but there are so many faults on both sides in this as far as I can tell.)

I'm glad your loved one is alright. I caught a newscast earlier where one woman was furious at the lack of aid offered to people having to walk the highways to flee the hurricane. She pointed out one man who collapsed by the side of the highway, unable to physically go any further. And the streets were lined with hundreds more people exhausted from exertion and heat. It was just heart-rending to watch.
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

New Orleans Drama

Postby LC » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:55 am

Ok we all hate how the government didn't react well to this.
but people if it was just the sad faces we see on media tv, that would be one thing but there is a totally different side that people are sweeping under the carpets.

Many Gangs have taken over hotels, motels and homes and NOt allowing other people in. My sister heard over her hospital ER radio the exact situation when a Medical helicoptor was flying and trying to land to give supplies for those who are ill, Savages, and yes I call them savages, threw bricks at the helicoptor and SHOT at them. My sister heard gun fire being shot at the helicoptor and they had to take off and not land nor drop supplies because of their savagery.

And for some (not all) of those ppl still on the roofs of their homes. TONS of people did not want to leave their homes. One lady on tv talked about her Aunt and Uncle not wanting to leave their homes and how they TURNED down rescue attempts 4 times. Another lady took 8 boxes of shoes from K-mart and when a reporter asked why she needed so many, she said "so my feetz don't get cut up". Then the camera pans down and the lady isn't wearing any shoes. So the reporters asks, why don't you put a pair on to protect your feet and she replied "Cause i don't want to get them wet".

The robbing and looting has gone FAR beyond the survival needs. What the fuck are you going to do with a TV when there is no power. What the hell are you going to do with a lawn mower when your 20 feet under water.

I know some cops that have gone down there and yes the have had to stop rescue attempts as some ppl they were trying to rescue, were shooting at them. Others just attacked them for no reason.

I Do feel horrible about the situation and many are in dire need of true assistance, i do not deny this. But to say none of the New Orleans ppl are at fault, is just gullible.
White magic-means saying your sorry
Black magic-means never saying sorry
Grey magic-means making others say they are sorry
---Ogre---
LC
Research Student
Research Student

Return to General Discussion