Login | Register

Dark Matter

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Dark Matter

Postby Obsidian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 am

I'll admit I'm not as 'up to date' with physics research and new theories as I could be but it really makes me sad every time I read about Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I may well be) for it seems to me like scientists, in an attempt to stick to Einstein's laws, have decided the universe is full of an invisible, non-interactive substance that, conveniently, we can't quite detect.

I'm aware that this is very similar to the Aether of olden-days (and could also be considered similar to magic energy) but it just seems like they're barking up the wrong tree completely.

Thoughts, feelings, re-educative paddling?
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Re: Dark Matter

Postby 4min33sec » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:09 pm

It's not just that the universe is full of this invisible, non-interactive stuff. It's that 90% OF THE ENTIRE MASS OF THE UNIVERSE CONSISTS OF IT.

o_O
4min33sec
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Obsidian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 pm

96-97%, according to recent findings.
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby LordArt » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 pm

My personal theory is this:

1. Gravity is considered the weakest force of the 4 main forces of the universe. It was theorized that it was because it affects multiple realms at the same time. (The term that was used was branes, as in membranes)
2. The reason why they insist there is dark matter and dark energy is because galaxies and other phenomena act as if there is more mass there (Dark Matter) then there actually is in this realm.

Put the two together, you get mass in the other branes (realms/universes) interacting with this universe. For the dark matter to affect what it does, including the creation of galaxies in the first place, the matter in these other branes needs to mostly mimic this physical universe. Now what realm do we know that mimics this physical universe but overlaps it. Earth Astral. I know that there is other layers inbetween which would easily make up the mass required that perhaps earth astral may not.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Draco_Platina » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:07 pm

I am reminded of a rather terrifying theory that the 'missing mass' is strange matter. Why is this scary? Because, I am told, it is possible that strange matter acts as a sort of 'grey goo'; anything that comes into contact with it also becomes strange. This is not something it actively does, it is just a physical property. One might say that the universe is becoming stranger all the time!
Art brings up an interesting way of looking at dark matter that I hadn't thought of! The four main forces being strong, weak, gravitation and electromagnetic, right? The manipulation and full understanding of gravitation is especially interesting because though it is the weakest force, it acts at such (relative to the strong and weak forces) mindbogglingly huge distances.
For a little bit of reading on what I think Art is referring to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
Something I've wanted to get my head around for a long while, but don't have enough of the dependencies to do so yet. :(
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Deus est Machinae, ex Nihil; Tu Deo.
Draco_Platina
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Obsidian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:10 pm

That's a very interesting theory Art!

After spending the last half hour skimming through M-Theory-related articles I think I need to study it a bit more in-depth but what you proposed is something I'm going to keep in mind.

If astral energy in different realms ('branes) can affect gravity in our physical reality, is that something that could be detected or measured?
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby LordArt » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Obsidian wrote:If astral energy in different realms ('branes) can affect gravity in our physical reality, is that something that could be detected or measured?

I would think so theoretically. But to get ENOUGH mass to BE detected is something else again. It would have to be big enough of a shift to get across the realms. A "energy ball" isn't going to cut it. :)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Obsidian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:13 am

Couple dozen hyper-dense energy bricks should cut it ;)

It's such a shame that gravity is the hardest force to measure out of the four, it makes any attempt at gravity modification so exceedingly difficult to measure. Not much hope of anti-grav or null-grav :(
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Return to General Discussion