Login | Register

A Difference Between Thoughtforms and Energy?

The more interesting threads from the other two forums (mostly the open magical discussion forum) have been moved here, so that those not wanting to hunt through the other forums to find interesting topics, can just look here. This forum section is reply only, so no NEW topics can be placed here. If you want to start a new thread, please do so in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
A Difference Between Thoughtforms and Energy?

Postby Syntax » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:44 pm

This may be already addressed somewhere else, but if so, I wasn't able to find it. My question is whether or not the energy that powers an energy construct/spell is different from the the spell itself. Up until recently I have always assumed that they were the same. Due to some personal experimentation that lead to a new fangled power source for my spells, I was confronted with the notion of what magical energy really was and what it wasn't.

My previous model of energy was that of a gaseous ooze that would be pumped this way or that. It could also take shape and be imprinted. From my point of view, that idea may have been shattered.

Being that I am largely a solo practitioner, I haven't had too much opportunity to gather any real consensus from my peers and thus this post. So what do the Omnimancers or anyone else that may have explored this topic think. Am I off base? Whys and why nots appreciated. :)
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby LordArt » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:55 pm

I think the answer only makes sense if terms are better defined.

Is a spell defined by the energy that makes it up, yes, mostly. I agree that magic used by most is "gaseous" in nature. ("Liquid" and "Hard" magical energy is used by Omnimancers only at high levels.) I say "mostly" because obviously a blob of energy is just a blob of energy if there are no active directives in it. So to define a spell one needs energy and one needs a means to direct that energy. The latter is what we term the "concentration tether". While a power tether would maintain the power requirements of the spell (either from an external source or the caster), the concentration tether keeps the spell itself active and doing what it's supposed to be doing. When a spell is powered by the caster (which is true in most magical systems), the power tether and the concentration tether are the same technically, where in Omnimancy they are separate since we use external energy. The concentration tether is what allows one to know the "status" of a spell, for example, because of the feedback. Without the concentration tether, the spell would quickly lose cohesion because there is nothing actively keeping it doing what it needs to to keep together, let alone perform it's function. (At least that is true in "gaseous" and "liquid" magic. "Hard" magic is different and can get around this limitation but only if built correctly).

To define a "thoughtform" is something else entirely in the sense it's definition depends on the background of the individual. Some see the term thoughtform and spell as identical and interchangeable. Others see thoughtforms as just thoughts. Thoughts are NOT energy, nor do they have effect in themselves, however, thoughts CAN manifest via the energy systems of the individual. Whether it is conscious purposeful casting to accidental subconscious wants, thoughts can only manifest via energy. Fortunately, one of magical energy's attributes is to be able to be manipulated by thought (there is actually an in-between step, and perhaps a few, but that will just complicate this discussion. Basically, you have a thought, it controls apparatuses within your spiritual body that then manipulates the energy. Not too unlike you wanting to move your arm, so electricity goes between your brain through your nerve endings to the muscle cells to contract and control their movement...The end result is your arm moves, but it was started with just a thought.)

Also to reread your question, yes, the energy that powers a spell CAN be different that the spell itself. The spell can just run on the "fuel" that is being pumped to it, however, like your body, that fuel can rebuild the spell itself or make it larger/change it.

Hopefully I answered your question...
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Syntax » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:10 am

Since I'm going to Crucible, I'll give my reply there if I can get a hold of you. Otherwise, I'll try to go into more detail here. The crux of it has to do with what the concentration tether/cord/whatever does and being able to use "motion" as an energy source.

(I built a water mill like device that pulls energy from what I'm guessing is the difference of motion between two separate dimensions.)

See you there.
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Syntax » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:24 am

In case anyone was wondering . . . my questions were answered. :D
Syntax
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Return to Interesting Magical Topics