Login | Register

credibility

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
credibility

Postby oath » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:04 pm

I just watched a program on television that went on to talk about schrodinger's cat among other such things which I cant quite remember and realized that it was all pretty darn far fetched. Funny thing is, it sounded a lot like the thoughts I have constantly running through my head, even more so these are usually thoughts and ideas about magic or paranormal phenomenea. So how is it that people are naturally willing to believe quantum mechanics and the like yet most are unnaccepting and naturally unwilling to believe magic?

Some things I heard but cant remember names: Einstein said nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, however some gentlemen proved that something could, which you might call "information". This was tested and proved by taking two "opposite particle twins" and moving them away from each other a great distance then changing one particles polarity and observing what its twin would do. The result was that the twin also changed instantly in reaction to this. Another theory, which Im sure most everyone is familiar with was that there is parallel universe in which every thing that could have happened (as a result of choice or change) did. To further this, I have heard string theorists say a similar thing about there being more than one universe floating around and that they overlay ours in a way that is incomprehensible to us (at least with our current knowledge and understandings). Which if you think a bit, is quite in agreement with or can explain the concept of ficitional worlds such as dreams, fantasies, the astral planes, or even heaven and hell.

Comments? and Sorry if my post isnt well organised
A psion practices the branch of magic called psi, a kabbalist practices from the kabbalah, and a buddhist strives for enlightenment. A Wizard however endeavors to know, understand, and master all magic, religion, and thought.
oath
Visitor
Visitor

Postby StormSeeker » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:52 pm

Yep, quantum mechanics is a definite interest of mine too. A lot of what they talk about, (from my pov when I read about string theory etc), gave a somewhat more tangible, worded explanation to some of the stuff I believed from personal experience that in general, isn't widely accepted.

For example, the existence of other dimensions and worlds, as you highlighted, and the so-called "Observer effect" which the experiment of Schrodinger's Cat was devised to illustrate.

I am particularly interested in the latter because of the impact it may have on things we take for granted. Concepts like 'chance' and statistics, and just reality in general. Combine this with the phenomenon noticed by parapsychologists down through the years (particularly the nineties, if I am remembering right), that skeptics present during lab situations involving testing psychic abilities or psychics themselves, could negatively influence the outcome. Just the presence of someone who was thinking differently to the others, could have an impact, and a noticable one at that.

General things that mages and psychics and the like have experienced for a few hundred or more years, but that through science, we're now beginning to find ways to substantiate the principles and mechanics behind these experiences, so that the rest of society may know what a few have, and so that us magic-types can also have a deeper understanding of reality and the mechanics behind it and how our influence impacts.

It throws open so many possibilities, the mind starts to boggle. :)

If you've done reading on the topic of quantum, can you recommend any books to me? (The ones I recall having definitely read or own, are "Hyperspace," Michio Kaku; "The Elegant Universe", Brian Greene, and also his new book who's title I forget. >.<)

As for why people are more readily accepting of quantum physics over magic...well, look at the two terms individually on your screen. Spend a minute or so just noticing what associations come up in your mind, connected with the two. Because you're involved in magic, you're less likely to have negative associations with the term, but I'm sure you're aware that magic is something connected with other terms which have negative connotations, such as: occult, ritual, witch, witchcraft, wicca, pagan, satanic, etc.

Quantum mechanics/physics on the other hand....well, that's a branch of science; one of the very foundations of our world and culture, and something that is universally accepted to one degree or another by the majority of people. Even for those who have quams with some of science's beliefs or discoveries, there is certainly no connotation to negative aspects of cultures that have cropped up in folklore, fables and mythology for hundreds of years.

Words can carry huge impact, not on their own, but also because of what personal meanings and associations we create in our minds. Does that help at all? :)

Btw, I've been meaning to ask: where does the quote in your signature come from?
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby oath » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:37 am

Slightly irritated as I have typed this up twice now and had both times been deleted but anyways...

I usually dont read books front to back, but more so scim through them for select information. However there is one such book that you may find of particular interest concerning physics, not that I am an expert at all on the subject, but the book is title A Brief History of Time and is by Steven Hawking. It is mostly set in laymans terms, not that I think that physics is all that hard to describe in the first place, but is quite a popular book otherwise. I believe it was first published in the early nineties and has had at least one edit and republishing due to either new information or to make the book more understandable, cant remember which. I mostly have not read this book, but I have given a better look than most, I also remember picking up Elegant universe a few years ago but dont recall geting past a few pages :P .

The types of books I usually read front to back are mostly novels. The one Im reading now is titled, "Celestine Prophecy" and is proving rather interesting and good read, as I believe it was a new york times best seller as well. You may want to check that out and consider some of the ideas the book represents for yourself.

Lastly, My signature is of my own mind, but there are traces of Bardon within it :) You or anyone else is free to use it if you like.
A psion practices the branch of magic called psi, a kabbalist practices from the kabbalah, and a buddhist strives for enlightenment. A Wizard however endeavors to know, understand, and master all magic, religion, and thought.
oath
Visitor
Visitor

Return to Open Magical Discussion