Login | Register

Your thoughts

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Your thoughts

Postby Serene » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:42 am

I'm sure we don't all get quite the sames news casts, but maybe some of the same interviews via affiliated stations.

I saw a short interview with Deepak Chopra that was at the same time wonderful and horrible. The man's communication was horrible, but his concept and suggestion was intriguing.

He stated that before, and to a greater degree after the tsunami disaster, groups are forming (of 10 people or more) to influence the "collective consciousness". He requested that everyone concentrate on sending feelings of calm and peace to the people of the affected areas. I understood what he was referring to because I've read of few books he authored and some he has collaborated on. But it must have sounded downright bizarre to someone with no exposure to that area of philosophy. (Buddhist? I dont know, I concentrate more on concepts than history or origin).

Since most here are aware of the potential of directed thought (ugh, maybe someone can express that better), I was curious as to your thoughts on his suggestion.
Serene
Visitor
Visitor

Postby FireEssence » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:15 pm

I personally from my own experience don't think that projected 'calm and peace' is going to do much for those people but I do think that it's good that he's at least _attempting_ to help and getting people who are most likely very torn by this disaster to feel as if they're doing something where otherwise they might be even more grief-stricken. But who knows, maybe it is worthwhile.
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby LordArt » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:54 pm

Well, personally, I have not found the "collective consciousness" to exist, so there is no point to influence it, IMHO. Doing spell work to help those in the affected areas is fine, but when one tries to effect something, only the goal, not the method(except unaccepatable paths) should be worried about in such cases.

I have found that the untrained normally cause more damage than good, so I consider it reckless at best. I have plenty of personal experiences and stories from others to back that one up. So in the end, unless this guy is just stupid/naive, he's trying/asking for something akin to prayer, in which case your back to religion or diety whim anyways, so they as individuals aren't doing anything except making themselves feel better that they did something.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Naryx » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:19 pm

They were in an area that is prone to Tsunamis and floods. They should have been more prepared. I don't feel one whit of sorrow or grief over their deaths or their obvious lack of preparedness. They should have known that such things happen there all the time, as they have since before humans existed. Anyone who isn't an idiot would have realized 'Hey! I live in an area that has XYZ natural disaster on a regular basis! Maybe I should have a backup plan!'.
They were complacent. They deserved to die.
The forges of manifestation are never quiescent. They are simply so far away from normal reality that you can't hear them.
Naryx
Visitor
Visitor

Return to Open Magical Discussion