Login | Register

Personal Ethics in Energy Work

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Postby Strider » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:52 pm

Note: The following views expressed in this post are not a direct reflection of Omnimancy. They are my own that have developed out of my own personal philosophical and occult studies. :EndNote:

Ah, free will and choice... one of those wyrd concepts at best. (The spelling of wyrd does have meaning)

There is a degree of free will and choice we have and their is an equal if not larger degree of "fated" or determined courses of action in life.

We are all subject to the forces around us. Constantly being tossed around by other peoples decisions so forth and so on. We react, though, according to our own wills in how we adapt. This will is shaped by both forces that have influenced us in the past and our own personal desires and motivations.

How can we differentiate between determined reaction and free choice though? Its hard to distinguish, I myself struggle with finding the distinction... does it matter though? You act as you are, be yourself and you are probably more likely acting according to free will then not.

I've always enjoyed the Norse view of things: (the following is an excerpt from the book on Rune Reading that I am in the process of writing).

1) That a person is a master of his or her own fate.
2) That a person is subject to their Wyrd.

The Norse have the concept of wyrd. Wyrd is a uniquely Norse concept of fate. It is the all-changing tapestry woven by the Norns. The Norns are three sister entities in the Norse Mythos that may be seen somewhat similar to the Fates of Greeks: Past, Present, and Future coincidently represented as Maiden, Mother, and Crone. In the Eddas there is implications that the Norns were of another “race” or “clan” of gods much like how the Aesir and Vanir are separate groupings of Deities. However, the Norns were seen as more ancient and or powerful then any God or Goddess and this is well represented in the mythos by the fact that even the gods themselves were subject to their own Wyrds and consequently thus subject to the whims of the sisters. Odin himself went to talk with them on many occasions to find insight into the fates of both gods and man.

Now one might ask how a person would view themselves as Masters of their own fate when these Norns weave it. In its essence a persons Wyrd is not set. It is an eternal flux, a sort of equilibrium, found between a person’s action as well as the reactions and consequent actions (so forth and so on) with the reality around them. No one persons future is set completely, it is always changing given the circumstances of their present actions that are in turn products of actions from the past as well as the actions and the like of those people and events around them. This view of fate is even represented in the mythos as it is said that a person is judged upon their death. Their resolution, so to say, is then assigned to them be it acceptance into a god or goddess’s hall, being reincarnated, milling about in a “gray” plane much like the ancient Greeks version of Tarturus, or being fed to the Nidhog as consequence of breaking a sacred oath.

(end excerpt)

Now all in all I do find their are outlets of excerting more freewill then others, in theory. It is one of the reasons I practice magic. However as you find options that broaden your ability to excert free will you find yourself getting involved in a hole new set of issues that just shift your constantly fluxing equilibrium with things.

Eh, but now I am rambling....

So simply put... Can we choose? Yes. Is that choice determined or "free"? Maybe Is their a way of knowing for sure? Not yet.

-My two cents.
-Rich
Fear me not, for I am not my friend Ogre...

OCP Issued Weapons:
For when you absolutely possitively need to rip a hole in the multiverse... or deal with your neighbors dog.
Strider
Head of OmniNorth
Head of OmniNorth

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:26 pm

Interesting, I have never heard or read about that Norse concept, probably something worth looking into some time.

Postby Spartan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:27 pm

Sorry, the above post was mine, wasn't logged in.
Spartan
Visitor
Visitor

Previous

Return to Open Magical Discussion