Login | Register

Energy Work Basics

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Energy Work Basics

Postby Kaylara » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:42 am

Ok, not sure if I'm over stepping my boundaries here, but I wanted to see if you all wanted to get into a little dicussion about this...

What topics do you consider to be basic when speaking about energy work in general? (not omnimancy specifically)
~Kaylara~
Kaylara
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Spartan » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:41 am

You say topics, but an ability can go to a very high/advanced degree and a basic degree, and it's still the same topic.
But what i consider basics in energy work/magic; to sense energy to some degree(to know where there is certain energy/construct in <insert spot>). And to manipulate it to some degree, of making energy constructs in a simple form(simple programming/putting in intent in it). What i consider basics also, is some common sense(example: as not to attack someone for fun), if you don't have that in hand before doing any energy work, it can get awfully bad.
Spartan
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:12 pm

The basic topics of energy working would be simply the concious movement of "magical" energy. This would include shaping and intent. However, since each tradition defines what can/should be done with shaping and intent, that is where I will draw my line. After that, your defining what a particular tradition does. While to ME, being able to see what your doing is important, in some other traditions it's a side effect, so again, I wouldn't list it as basic of energy working. (ie. Some traditions teach visualizations for their energy work, and while some might say that's using one's senses, those same groups don't teach how to see other's work, or even their own after the energy has been manipulated. Some don't even teach visiualization, they just teach you to "feel" your way.).

"The concious movement of energy" is defined by someone purposeful moving energy with only themselves, as opposed to doing ritual work where physical objects are being moved (or chants or what-have-you), that as a side effect, move and shape the energy the practioner wants to do because they believe that such objects will have that effect. They have to believe it or else it doesn't work, but that's a seperate topic.

While Spartan brought up ethical issues, that is for the tradition to define, and has nothing to do with energy working as a magical form (ie. don't confuse the psion's tradition with energy working as a whole). I also disagree with his interpretation on that basic abilities change (ie. the same abiliity is basic and can go advanced). The SPECIFIC ability doesn't change, and while might get stronger, it's function in all that time as the practioner gets more experienced doesn't change. For example, movement of energy itself. That is a basic skill. Your strength in it might vary based on experience/time at it, but even when your VERY experienced and/or very strong, it's still a basic skill. You just know what to do with it better, which is technique which gets back to a tradition's teachings. A basic skill is always a basic skill, the embelishments make it "advanced", but then it isn't the original basic skill anymore is it? It's been built upon and other things added.

I would not consider constructs basic energy working, because again, that is done based on a tradition's teachings. I could be wrong, but I don't think Reiki uses constructs (but I'm not a reiki expert), but I would consider reiki energy working (ie. that reiki is in the energy working classification).

Do keep in mind, that people who just come up with their own stuff may not be following an "official" tradition, but in my opinion is still following one...their own. :)
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Spartan » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:04 am

*agrees on the different traditions with differents basics/ways of energy work*

A person making making a painting, and that being a great work of art, and being sold for millions, people usually call that an artist/a pro/etc, and don't consider it basic, but if i were to make a crappy painting, i'm still doing the same ability, only not as good, people 'do' consider that basic.

I don't consider an ability getting so strong that it takes years to get it that strong a basic thing to do, i 'do' consider it a basic ability, because, like you said, it's just the basic abilkity/skill being stronger.

(own quote)(You say topics, but an ability can go to a very high/advanced degree and a basic degree, and it's still the same topic.
) I should of changed 'topic' in ability/skill in my post, though, i didn't say i consider a strong and basic/weaker skill of the same ability different things.
Spartan
Visitor
Visitor

Return to Open Magical Discussion