Login | Register

What got you into magic?

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Once upon a time

Postby Celiborne » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:14 pm

I was interested in magic, or perhaps it would be more accurate to say the concept of magic, ever since I was a child some 35 years ago. However, it wasnt until I was in my late 20's that I actually began to act upon that lifelong interest as my then religious beleifs prohibited me from doing so.

However my research into magic was for the most part unsatisfactory. Ceremonial/ritual magic just doesnt seem all that pragmatic in this day and age. But I picked up bits and bobs of information that I found of practical value and continued my studies as an idependent mage.

I became excited when I learned of Omnimancy. From what I have gathered on the public site it seems to match with my own understanding and praxis of magic. Hopefully, it will work out forme to become a student.
It is only at the meeting of knowledge and ignorance, of light and dark, that new understanding may be found: in the shadow.
Celiborne
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Suijin » Sat Sep 13, 2003 3:35 am

I turned interested in magick studies 1 year ago later, as I was reading through articles about ancients/etc so as I read, I went further into it. Leading me to other places gaining and learning other experences..
Suijin
Visitor
Visitor

what got me interested in magic

Postby billie1125 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:44 pm

i think i've always been interested in magic. even witchcraft, wicca, paganism, the occult. but my parents weren't too thrilled when they found a book about wicca in my room so i couldn't really do much until i moved out years ago. then i found a wiccan/celtic group online and i thought that i would learn to do magic but the group is more into the spiritual side which is great and i like the group and the people in it. they're my friends now. but i would also like to learn to do magick. one of the people in my group went to the pagan pride project meeting this past sat and there was a workshop i guess you would call it there about omnimancy. so i decided to check out the website for it. and so here i am. wanting to learn magick. :)
billie1125
Visitor
Visitor

Postby ShadowWarrior28 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:33 pm

Well, it was originally curiosity, then I got more interested & since I like to research well I have 4 years researching , have only done no more than 10 simple candle / wishing spells , some have worked some haven't but that's about it :D

:lol: Warrior :lol:
ShadowWarrior28
Visitor
Visitor

*jumps on the bandwagon*

Postby Obsidian » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:39 am

Hey
Since this seems to be the cool thing to do, i'll join in.
j/k
I first got interested in the magickal side of life from like...TV documentary i think.
Then, the inevitable DBZ got me seriously interested in Energy, which i researched, and found a few forum sites. From there, it kinda evolved into a passion for APing...
I met Stormy there, and she like, helped me HEAPS with Psi, so im currently a Psion-wannabe...
Im like, fully interested in the 'alternate' side of life.
Something like Physics has never really clicked as being the only thing, the govening force. Tis why i think energy was so easy for me to accept...

Well, this is all over the shop, aint it...
Finishing word...
Im a wanna-be psion-in-training. I have some skill, but not enough. I got into it cause of Stormy, and before that cause of DBZ.

Merf...
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby Lightbringer » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:12 am

My mother is a magician but my dad is one of the most magically-adept people I've ever known. He and his experiences are what originally peaked my interest but I'm sure, even if I had different parents, I would have ended up researching and learning about anything paranormal. I'm just too curious for my own good ;)
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lightbringer
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Draconic Feathers » Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:48 pm

I don't really practice magick (yet) but I felt like I had to add to this thread. I'll just say why I started psionics:

In freshman year of highschool I knew a girl who was a wiccan. Though now I know that she wasn't as nearly as skilled as I then beleived her to be, just the fact that I knew someone who practiced magick excited me. I researched online almost feverishly, absorbing everything I could find. Being involved in such things seemed...right.

At first I beleived that magick was basically was what video games depicted it to be; fire balls, pretty sparkly healing spells, etc. But as soon as I actually began psionics, my view of magick, or the occult/OEC/whatever, in general was changed. As I continued in my practices, I found that I was finding out more and more about myself. Now, it just seems that it's a part of me. In short, I practice because it feels right; it's a part of who I am. As my skill grows, I feel as if I, as a person, grow. It helped me reach a strange understanding with myself and the world...I beleive that practicing magick will help me further progress in life and find out more about who I really am than I already do. Well, this is more of my reason for wanting to start magick, not why I started. Has anyone else had a similar reason for starting?
Draconic Feathers

Postby Naryx » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:42 am

I got into magic because I realized that I was, from the time I started having conscious thoughts till now and beyond, knowing things and having memories that it was impossible for me to possibly have. For example at the age of 2 I spoke at length to my family about the life and times of Troy, and was amazingly accurate about it, as well. And so practicing magic has come to me as naturally as breathing or eating comes to other people.
The forges of manifestation are never quiescent. They are simply so far away from normal reality that you can't hear them.
Naryx
Visitor
Visitor

Previous

Return to Open Magical Discussion