Login | Register

Special on Discovery Health Channel...

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Special on Discovery Health Channel...

Postby -bsg- » Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:53 pm

About a man maniupulating electronicas with his presencse/mind.
Street lights would flick off when he came close, and he could affect the random # generator test they did.
Did anyoen see this or have any thoughts?
It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is That is most of it, being a wizard--seeing and listening. The rest is technique. We are not always what we seem and hardly ever what we dream
-bsg-
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby StormSeeker » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:18 pm

I didn't catch it first time around, but since it's repeated, I'll watch it tomorrow or in a couple of days (see here for details, if anyone missed it first time around like me: http://health.discovery.com/schedule/se ... hannel=DHC )

Nothing new though, "Street lamp interference", or using Psychokinesis(PK) to affect electronics as well as micro-PK (possibly what we'd term Event Manipulation) to affect RNGs have puzzled the parapsychologists for years :)

http://paranormal.about.com/library/wee ... 12400a.htm - article on SLI (Street Lamp Interference/affecting electronics)

http://www.wintersteel.com/SLIders_Phenomenon.html

Personally, I think a lot of so-called "SLIders" and folks who can affect electronic appliances need to be checked for more 'mundane' causes before assuming it's something like PK. It wouldn't be the first person to screw up electronics by simply having too much static in their body, and other assorted 'mundane' explanations.

That, and I don't think it's anywhere -near- as cut and dried as the parapsych. folks make it out to be. Everything that causes physical effects is Psychokinesis (macro or micro)? If that's the case, then why can't SLIders move objects or levitate things? Why can't folks who can demonstrate reliable macro-PK (moving objects, commonly)...produce SLIder type effects with the same reliability? Why are there only similarities in -some- cases, and not precise parallels?

I think there's a chance that they are related, or produced by the same mechanism in -some- individuals. But like the rest of metaphysics, I believe there's more than one way to achieve the PK effect, and that one mechanism learned to move objects may not affect electronics, and vice versa.

Also, I don't wonder if in some cases, the root cause is the person's output such as brainwaves or electromagnetism, which may simply high enough up from the "normal" range on the scale, that it can adversely affect electronics. If it's brainwaves or brain function, then that can then learn to be controlled as some of these people manage to do.

I remember that the Russian infamous psychic, Nina Kulagina had brainwave readings that were far beyond what one would normally expect, when she was moving objects with her mind alone; that they were centered around a specific part of her head..and that there appeared to be a "field" that expanded and grew around that area..whilst she was manipulating things.

Again, the parapsych. folks seem to believe that that's where the answer lies..in the brainwaves of the people involved. But not everyone who's been scrutinized, demonstrates the same or even similar brainwave activity like that, which to -me- indicates that it's not the -only- way of achieving these effects (just one plausible route). *shrug*

Should be really interested to see this documentary and see what sort of tests they put the guy through, as well as what his brainwave and other outputs are recorded as being. Thanks for the heads up! :)
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby -bsg- » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:21 pm

Heheh- should I petition for James Randi to be a speak er at Crucible 3?
exceptional explanation- I slacked off but you really covered the whole issue at hand. Bravo.
It's a rare man who is taken for what he truly is That is most of it, being a wizard--seeing and listening. The rest is technique. We are not always what we seem and hardly ever what we dream
-bsg-
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Fire_on_High » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:10 am

I'm just the opposite with machines, computers especially. I seem to get along well with them...they behave reliably and even in some ways out of their normal ways for me. Burned CDs will read for me in drives, but no one else. Dicky hardware tends to behave while I'm around, and normal hardware seems to run a bit better. When something goes out I can usually feel where the problem is, down to being able to pinpoint the bad place on an IDE cable and then when I run my hands along it, feeling where it was indeed damaged., or feel which stick of ram is bad out of 3 once it has power. I was never actually taught this, I just seem to have picked it up over time and out of necessity.

I won't get into the glorous mess that is my personal machine, suffice to say I've somehow bound it to me and I'm still not sure how.
Fire_on_High
Presence
Presence

Return to Open Magical Discussion