Login | Register

What happens when wildly disparate spell styles mix?

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
What happens when wildly disparate spell styles mix?

Postby mthwinphil » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:39 am

Hello everyone,

Here's a question on magic I've pondered for some time. I'm curious what Omnimancers think.

What happens when spells from wildly different magical styles mix? By that, I mean what happens when magicians in completely different traditions cast spells towards a common goal? Do the energies come together? Interfere with each other? Are results multiplied?

This is actually not an idle question; Almost all of my friends who do magic work in completely different traditions, and if, say, I were in a traumatic accident, it would be likely that Buddhist healing mantras, Biblical Psalms, reiki-type practices, and probably a few other things would be directed my way to facilitate healing.
mthwinphil
Visitor
Visitor

Re: What happens when wildly disparate spell styles mix?

Postby LordArt » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 am

It GREATLY depends on which systems are being mixed. Omnimancy is a meta-magic system from the start, so has the best chance of interacting well, but even then, it would depend on the methods implemented within Omni vs what it is trying to enhance.

Different magical systems have their specific strengths. However, if you have too many chefs in the kitchen, it doesn’t work too well. If you have a magical system that relies on spirits, how well do those spirits get along with each other? So the answer to your question isn’t very cut and dry. I guess the best way to make sure they interact well, is for everyone who is casting to know that there will be other magics involved and to alter they spell accordingly. Meaning, so that their own working won’t interfere but enhance as part of it’s purpose.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Return to Open Magical Discussion