Login | Register

Magical Information Storage

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Magical Information Storage

Postby LordArt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:28 pm

I was poking around on the web, as I do every once in a while, to see who is talking about Omnimancy. So I came across this article about knowledge storage using magical energy:

http://www.mytelekinesis.com/memory-sto ... fgopl.html
[edit]
and also here: http://www.mytelekinesis.com/psionic-te ... fgopl.html

The commenters broke it to the author that Omnimancy was already doing that for quite a while (truth be told probably for 15 years or so). The author didn't seem too happy about it, or at least preferred his new name for things. :)

To support the commenters, they are correct. Omnimancy teaches how to store information in magical energy. It is actually required to trade high end tech back and forth between members. If you've played with tech, you know how complicated it can get, especially at higher levels, and how much detail matters in the end of implementing it. Having such details get lost in translation really isn't acceptable, so the knowledge is able to be stored as an energy pattern. It's more complicated than that in reality, but it's simple enough to implement. It's hard to keep this in layman’s terms for a public post. Needless to say, there are tech means to store data and compress/encrypt it.

Another application we've used this idea for is knowledge bots. Very handy. Servitors are nothing new to magic (we just call them bots because we are that way. ;) ). In this case, strap some good sensors on a spell, and means to record and store information, and you got a knowledge bot (with some mobility of course). These have a great many uses, to being extra observers for spell experiments to scanning a patient for a high end healing spell. A person can scan another person, but usually can only focus on one thing at a time. The likelihood of missing a small detail is decently high. In high end situations, missing anything can make a difference, so as they say many eyes are better than one, so you make a bunch of knowledge bots to scan the area in question, getting as much info as possible (and of course storing it). Then compile the overlapping data to see if anything got missed by your own scans. In the end, they always provide a far clearer picture of things than one's own senses alone. (unless your bots suck of course...practice makes perfect)

Just some food for thought.

[update]
It looks like he at least acknowledges things from here, but now he's calling what he does a new branch of Omnimancy where it's just another branch of tech. Such is the grapevine effect I guess.

http://www.mytelekinesis.com/psitronics ... fgopl.html
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Re: Magical Information Storage

Postby FireEssence » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 pm

Such are the joys of labeling things with excessively specific titles. In all reality, the folks who have told him that what he is doing "is" Omnimancy are a little at fault too-- if I utilized the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram, which was developed in the GD system, am I practicing the system of the Golden Dawn? Not really-- I am just making use of one of their rituals/techniques. Likewise, if I use tech, I'm not using "Omnimancy", I'm using tech-based magic. In general, I find the labeling of a technique as the system it is most associated with fairly problematic, even if the technique is identical/nearly-identical but not developed via working with the group.

If I make a tech-based amp, is it Omnimancy? Nope. I feel like this is effectively an analagous situation.
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Postby Thelynx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:49 pm

A branch of something they have never studied :p
Thelynx
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Oyama » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:18 am

Lactokinesis. I can haz?

Sorry, don't actually have time to go through the whole site, but saw that little gem and giggled.
Your anguish sustains me.

Madness is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!
Oyama
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Thelynx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 am

Oyama wrote:Lactokinesis. I can haz?

Sorry, don't actually have time to go through the whole site, but saw that little gem and giggled.

It might come in handy when you have a newborn ;]
Thelynx
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Draco_Platina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:17 am

Actually... it looks like fgopl is single-handedly trying to bring back anime as a 'serious' energy practice model. It kills me inside to see that sort of thing still around, but I guess Naruto is still giving them fodder. I suppose, on the upside, they're sort of headed down a better track with this?
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Deus est Machinae, ex Nihil; Tu Deo.
Draco_Platina
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Thelynx » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:55 am

Draco_Platina wrote:Actually... it looks like fgopl is single-handedly trying to bring back anime as a 'serious' energy practice model. It kills me inside to see that sort of thing still around, but I guess Naruto is still giving them fodder. I suppose, on the upside, they're sort of headed down a better track with this?

I don't know if its really a better track than whats already out there.
I read a few articles and they seem to be very generic when it comes down to it.
Most seem to just be taking the definitions of various types of kinesises and what they should technically be able to do given the meaning of the name.
Mainly from what I've read as far as practice, it boils down to visualization techniques.
Of course by no means am I saying that's not a good way to practice. But the fact that many of the same practices seem to just be substituting one type of energy with another type makes me personally see no need to segregate them into different topics.

For all I know constant years of practice might bring the results they are describing.
Many of the exercises are wide spread and known so its possible that they do work.
But the seeing how I've never heard of people hurling fireballs at each other willy-nilly makes me think other wise.
Thelynx
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby Draco_Platina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, I meant headed down a better track with a Light n' Fluffy attempt at tech, rather than sticking with silly things like imitating naruto and Dragonball.
Unfortunately, the reason (I think) such techniques are so widespread is because people, especially young ones, want to feel they have some sort of power over themselves and even others. The world can be pretty brutal, and everyone has their own delusions they occasionally retreat into to cope. I've seen a lot of people grow out of it, usually by ~21ish. Some don't, but their practice becomes much more tempered by actual martial arts than anime.
The site does seem to be full of quite a few egos passing judgement on each other, declaring silly 'wars' over insults and recruiting 'disciples' and 'apprentices', but I'm hoping that instead of new people arriving to add fuel to the fire of Naruto's Kitsune Chakra Techniques, they will bring more questions and maybe a bit of Cartesian doubt.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
Deus est Machinae, ex Nihil; Tu Deo.
Draco_Platina
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Oyama » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:48 pm

I would be satisfied if they perfected the sexy jutsu, personally.
Your anguish sustains me.

Madness is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!
Oyama
Research Student
Research Student

Return to Open Magical Discussion