Login | Register

Turning off the ability to do magic.

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Turning off the ability to do magic.

Postby Questioner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am

I read a post about this by lord art,which got me to think.Is this accomplished by actually cutting them off from energy?(in which case you cant do anything intill the omnimancer lets you) or is it more of a technique you can defend against?

While i am at it,what is sparring?Are the participants projecting?or are you just thinking at each other?
Questioner
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Turning off the ability to do magic.

Postby LordArt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:51 am

Questioner wrote:I read a post about this by lord art,which got me to think.Is this accomplished by actually cutting them off from energy?(in which case you cant do anything intill the omnimancer lets you) or is it more of a technique you can defend against?

In effect it's like cutting them off from energy (but does more, like negating their magical senses). And "cutting off" isn't really how it works. The issue comes from a way of doing it that doesn't hurt them, but stops them from being able to do anything. Not that this is how it works, but it might be like a nerve strike in martial arts, where they hit you in a spot and your arm goes limp. You are ok, but you can't move your arm.

Can you defend against it? Depends if your defenses can stop a spell affecting you. And if they can, can they hold up against what might be used to remove or bypass those defenses? If they can't, I think you have your answer.

While i am at it,what is sparring?Are the participants projecting?or are you just thinking at each other?

Omni sparring is projecting. It's safest and for what is learned, it doesn't matter if one projected or not to use what is learned. In other systems, you'd have to ask them.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby SATANSTURKEY666 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00 am

Questioner wrote:I read a post about this by lord art,which got me to think.Is this accomplished by actually cutting them off from energy?(in which case you cant do anything intill the omnimancer lets you) or is it more of a technique you can defend against?

Is the part in bold real? What if someone is only slightly stronger than you and manages to overpower you just because of that? Do you really have a permanent block on magick until someone else undoes it? Or will enough effort be enough to regain your power on your own?
SATANSTURKEY666
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:30 am

Is the part in bold real? What if someone is only slightly stronger than you and manages to overpower you just because of that? Do you really have a permanent block on magick until someone else undoes it? Or will enough effort be enough to regain your power on your own?

Quite real. Someone outside the group decided to attack a student and the punishment was to shut him down (ie. no magic) for a year. He was trying for something rather nasty, so the punishment was appropriate. Through the grapevine, we heard he wrote off his inability to do magic to the meds he was taking (even though he had been taking them long before without issue).

So either the original caster has to remove it, or someone strong/skilled enough has to remove it. Effort won't matter based on how it operates (meaning, the WHY it works).
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby SATANSTURKEY666 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:26 pm

LordArt wrote:

Quite real. Someone outside the group decided to attack a student and the punishment was to shut him down (ie. no magic) for a year. He was trying for something rather nasty, so the punishment was appropriate. Through the grapevine, we heard he wrote off his inability to do magic to the meds he was taking (even though he had been taking them long before without issue).

So either the original caster has to remove it, or someone strong/skilled enough has to remove it. Effort won't matter based on how it operates (meaning, the WHY it works).

So the target himself is completely powerless to do anything after the barrier is placed? Does this, in turn, mean that if someone is lucky to "bar" you at an opportune moment even though they are usually far less advanced than you, you will still be unable to fix it yourself?
SATANSTURKEY666
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:36 pm

SATANSTURKEY666 wrote:So the target himself is completely powerless to do anything after the barrier is placed? Does this, in turn, mean that if someone is lucky to "bar" you at an opportune moment even though they are usually far less advanced than you, you will still be unable to fix it yourself?

Yes, once shutdown, the target is unable to do anything magically of any significance. (Meaning, they can still breath, walk around, etc., but they can't cast or sense). So if a "lesser" magician is able to get the spell past something greater's defenses and turn them off, it does leave the target vulnerable and unable to fix it themselves directly. That is the whole point. It is a combat spell, after all. I've seen it done (and done it myself back in the day).
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Return to Open Magical Discussion