Login | Register

The practice of Omnimancy

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
The practice of Omnimancy

Postby Sahashara » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Hello guys,

Let´s say I need a healing for myself. A healing in my arm bone because I broke it in an accident. If this is the first time I´m using a healing magic for bones, then I concentrate and visualize on the astral a structure wich concentrates in itself energy to heal bones. I can connect this structure to a source of energy or not, or issue orders to replenish its own "stock" of energy so that it never runs out. I may or not plug this structure to other that I may have or not that work with healing energies, but let´s say this is my first one. Then I set it with the function to absorb energy from environment (if I know some magical source) to maintain itself in the astral even when I´m not thinking consciously about it.

Now I just go and plug another structure with this first one. Another one whose function is to intensify the energy processed by my "heal bones" structure. The function of this new one is to let me work with different levels of potency (maybe to heal an arm is different than an entire body, and if I use, to heal the arm, the same potency I would use to heal the entire body, this could bring me some side-effects if I was not aware of then).

Well so now the structure exists in the astral. I think of it and a cable connecting it with my arm. I just put the intent that my "heal bones" structure will send its energy to my arm until its completely healed. This could take hours or days, depending on the practise level of proficiency. After healing is achieved, I disconnect the "cables" but let the structure be where it was created.

Now let´s say I know someone who broke his leg. The structure already exist so in some seconds I create a connection just like I did with my arm and set the same instruction. After the healing, disconnect the cables. I may or not go and see if the structures are running ok ,if they need adjusts, if I came up with some other more interesting ideas to let it function better, etc... but in short, the structure is there. As always.

Now begin to feel a strong headache. Well... I´ll have to construct something, since what I have doesn´t fit this kind or problem....

My kind sirs, what I wonder now isto know if what I hypothetically described above has something to do with the practice of Omnimancy?

I thank you very much for all your attention,
Sahashara
Visitor
Visitor

Re: The practice of Omnimancy

Postby LordArt » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 am

Sahashara wrote: My kind sirs, what I wonder now isto know if what I hypothetically described above has something to do with the practice of Omnimancy?

Something, yes, but kinda only fringing it. I’ll go into what I mean below.

If this is the first time I´m using a healing magic for bones, then I concentrate and visualize on the astral a structure wich concentrates in itself energy to heal bones. I can connect this structure to a source of energy or not, or issue orders to replenish its own "stock" of energy so that it never runs out. I may or not plug this structure to other that I may have or not that work with healing energies, but let´s say this is my first one. Then I set it with the function to absorb energy from environment (if I know some magical source) to maintain itself in the astral even when I´m not thinking consciously about it.

That’s a lot of may or may nots. :) As far as the energy sourcing goes, normally it isn’t just from the environment per se. It’s from something specific we tap in on at lower levels (ie. Leylines in this case). That way we don’t have to pre-condense the energy to be useful as well as having a large reservoir to use that isn’t us.

Now I just go and plug another structure with this first one. Another one whose function is to intensify the energy processed by my "heal bones" structure. The function of this new one is to let me work with different levels of potency (maybe to heal an arm is different than an entire body, and if I use, to heal the arm, the same potency I would use to heal the entire body, this could bring me some side-effects if I was not aware of then).

Well so now the structure exists in the astral. I think of it and a cable connecting it with my arm. I just put the intent that my "heal bones" structure will send its energy to my arm until its completely healed. This could take hours or days, depending on the practise level of proficiency. After healing is achieved, I disconnect the "cables" but let the structure be where it was created.

Healing in Omni is rarely put “healing energy” in and hope for the best, so simply “hooking up cables” to what we are trying to heal isn’t something we’d do. Usually something specific is trying to be accomplished. But this might be semantics of the generalizations of your description. In this case, we’d handle the bone mending, swelling, and pain management separately, even if it ended up in the same spell. The tech to handle each would be different and how it manipulates things to accomplish what it does would be different too. Usually how that is done is manipulating the environment of the area being healed, not simply flooding it with energy. In essence in some cases minor event manipulation (ie. Cells HAPPEN to get extra resources to heal quicker, pathegens HAPPEN not to cause an infection, Nerve endings HAPPEN not to report the pain as intensely, etc.)

If one is good at reality control, one might simply “undo” the break. Break the bone, cast the spell, go to the doctor, the doctor reports you are over reacting and the bone isn’t broken, you just bruised something, etc. Another example is if one got a disease. Oh, there was a lab screw up, you don’t actually have it, etc. That kind of thing is fun. (And yes, the bone is actually mended or the disease is gone as if never there. It isn't about mind screwing the doctor or the lab tech.)

Now let´s say I know someone who broke his leg. The structure already exist so in some seconds I create a connection just like I did with my arm and set the same instruction. After the healing, disconnect the cables. I may or not go and see if the structures are running ok ,if they need adjusts, if I came up with some other more interesting ideas to let it function better, etc... but in short, the structure is there. As always.

This we normally wouldn’t do. After the healing was done the first time, the spell is cancelled/dissipated having served it’s purpose. Via our casting methods, if such a thing is needed again, it could be recreated full strength in about a second, so there is no need to keep the original around. Also the recast would inherit any new ideas/upgrades to one’s abilities or tech since the last time it was used/needed. Omnis are use to constant upgrades, so such things as recasts are important to have all the “updates”. But in the sense that since a previous bone healing spell worked, we’d just call that one back up again, yes, we’d would do that (unless we learned something that would supersede it since).

Now begin to feel a strong headache. Well... I´ll have to construct something, since what I have doesn´t fit this kind or problem....

Yes, using the right tools for the right problem is important. If we don’t have the right tool, we do default back to “just put healing energy in”, but we really try not to do that. SOMEONE likely has a tech spell for what needs to be done somewhere by this point. Problems are the best way to learn because they get practical advice on subjects that don’t normally come up, and they learn what to do next time as well as the goodies to do it.

So to answer your end question, does what you describe have SOMETHING to do with Omnimancy? Yes, but I hope I’ve shown above how it differs as well.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Sahashara » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Thank you for your answer, LordArt, it was very usefull to my understanding. With this "practical" simple example you have answered a lot of my doubts about how Omnimancy works towards problems. It was truly enlightening. I just preferred this approach rather than ask zillions of individual questions, because this way I can sum up a lot of things together and they make sense together, as a whole.

Thanks
Sahashara
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Sahashara » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:45 am

Lordart,

In many magical theories the power of the will is of central importante. From what I´m reading in some posts, It looks to me that omnimancy don´t rely on the power of the raw will to make things happen. Instead, omnimancy resolves in a way that magic itself will do the work and the magician, to this end, have to work towards the maximization of the technology that builds the magic. So, in this case, the will of the magician comes as something more "secondary". Is this correct?
Sahashara
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:50 am

Sahashara wrote:Lordart,
In many magical theories the power of the will is of central importante. From what I´m reading in some posts, It looks to me that omnimancy don´t rely on the power of the raw will to make things happen. Instead, omnimancy resolves in a way that magic itself will do the work and the magician, to this end, have to work towards the maximization of the technology that builds the magic. So, in this case, the will of the magician comes as something more "secondary". Is this correct?

Yes and no. You still need magical will to create things in the first place. The more skill and more power the better tech that can be created (although you still need the knowledge of how to create the better tech. Skill and power in itself isn’t enough to spontaneously develop better tech, it just is a prerequisite.). I would say the “magical will” is important, but it isn’t the end step which, as you say, many magical theories put it as. But there is tech to increase one’s magical will and skill artificially, so our stuff sort of feeds on itself in that respect. So it’s less about personal brute force of magical will, and more about what can be created with it.

Sort of like trying to move a bunch of boxes. You can carry each one up the building one at a time, or put it all on a palette and use the forklift you created. The forklift still requires your involvement, but not so much heavy lifting. ;) But if you don’t know how to make a forklift, or have the power/skill to make one, you still have to default back to carrying the boxes one at a time. It might take a while to develop that forklift, but in this case, if you can recreate it in moments when you need it, the time and effort is worth it. Depending on the kind of Omni one is, they either invent on their own or simply take from the standard set of goodies that is taught or comes up from teachers or other students. What is off the main teaching schedule is usually more interesting that what is on it. :)

For our purposes, resolution (ie. Skill – fine detail work that still has strength) is most important second to knowledge. Most system’s answer is “throw more power at it”. While that works, if that is no longer the stumbling block, what is the next stumbling block? And that is resolution/skill. But I digress off your question.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Return to Open Magical Discussion