Login | Register

Hello! Im DownRodeo

A place where any form of magic and stories/experiences related may be discussed. This is also appropriate to discuss general Omnimancy principles, of course.

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Hello! Im DownRodeo

Postby DownRodeo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:35 am

Hi, My name is Kieran O'Brien, i stumbled across your site becuase i was told of omnimancy by one of my friends.

Im also a member of a site called Veritas, which you have probably heard it since one of your members (Storm Seeker) is a moderator on... Storm teaches me psionics (when i turn up to her lessons...i do try storm) :) But one of my fellow students had mentioned omnimancy so i thought i would check it out...

What is mentioned on your site (or the introduction document) is simmilair to what i have seen or been taught in things like psionics (well the principles). i dont know whether they are based on the same ideas or not, since i dont know much about energy. (I just study the basics because i do a martial art) but all of this omnimancy stuff (forgive me for saying that, but i couldnt word it any other way) seems really interesting, anything you could tell me on the subject of omnimancy, ie: the differences between it and other forms of magick, and also between it and other forms of direct magick, would be greatly appreciated...

But then maybe i should learn psionics first (That will take me ages) and then check this out... Thanks for your time...
I want to learn about omnimancy...sounds interesting...
DownRodeo
Visitor
Visitor

Postby blueflame_99 » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:42 am

:roll: heh wierd. we had a discussion on the psi palatium email list rearding ley lines and i came here thru there. coincidence? :p. you might've heard of psipog, i usually practice there. i know the two communities (i.e. veritas and psipog) hate each other, but hopefully there wont be any hard feelings between us.

-blue
blueflame_99
Visitor
Visitor

Postby DownRodeo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 8:42 pm

Yeah i know pispog, i learnt the basics there (well i thought i did) now Storm is re-teaching me... No hard feelings whatsoever, in fact i have no "allegiance" to any site, i guess mine would be to my teacher, but idont she cares about silly things like that...
DownRodeo
Visitor
Visitor

Postby blueflame_99 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:41 am

thats good :o
aahh tell me one thing tho, does the ki martial arts techniques work? i think im gonna check out the articles again, as soon as theyre back up.
blueflame_99
Visitor
Visitor

Postby DownRodeo » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:46 am

Yeah, some of the articles are very good, chi in martial arts, is just another way (system) of using energy. I like the philosophy in martial arts too...

Although its not the only way to manipulate energy, there are many different systems, ie: psionics omnimancy and Magick... There are probably loads more i dont know about too. Check it out, all the systems have their uses and learning all the ways you can will give you a better understanding of energy as a whole...
DownRodeo
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Hello! Im DownRodeo

Postby LordArt » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:33 am

Hello DownRodeo,

DownRodeo wrote:
Im also a member of a site called Veritas, which you have probably heard it since one of your members (Storm Seeker) is a moderator on... Storm teaches me psionics (when i turn up to her lessons...i do try storm) :) But one of my fellow students had mentioned omnimancy so i thought i would check it out...

Yes, I'm aware of Veritas. I haven't gone there or interacted too much there. I actually have little contact personally with all the different psion groups. But many of my students are rather active in many different places, including Veritas. It seems each group has their own "flavoring". :) Ie. their style, approaches, philosophies, etc.

When you said that Storm teaches you psionics, I thought you were one of her personal students. After talking with her, I didn't realize she did open forum teaching every once in while and you had attended those. Not that that is a bad thing mind you. Just trying to establish the relationship between you and Storm for myself.

DownRodeo wrote:What is mentioned on your site (or the introduction document) is simmilair to what i have seen or been taught in things like psionics (well the principles). i dont know whether they are based on the same ideas or not, since i dont know much about energy. (I just study the basics because i do a martial art) but all of this omnimancy stuff (forgive me for saying that, but i couldnt word it any other way) seems really interesting, anything you could tell me on the subject of omnimancy, ie: the differences between it and other forms of magick, and also between it and other forms of direct magick, would be greatly appreciated...

But then maybe i should learn psionics first (That will take me ages) and then check this out... Thanks for your time...

The continuing problem about what is mentioned on the site is that it is very basic. It's not very special and it only has a "touch" of omnimancy flavoring. Omnimancy came from magical schools of thought, not psionics. We had never even heard of psions til we went online a little over a year ago, and Omnimancy has been around for over 11 years. Hence the tutorial was more geared around mages and pagans as opposed to psions.

On the surface, (or just by looking at the posted tutorials), it looks like omnimancy is very simular to psionics as you know it. And the some of the foundational techniques are identical. However, psions just seem to "stop". They don't seem to go past simple energy working or "programming" as they call it. Omnimancy takes a very different direction once you get past some of the foundational work, as Storm can attest.

Ritual magical traditions have been around for a while and those that are based around the power of the particpants (as opposed to getting an entity to do whatever), are mostly based on getting good effects from little amounts of energy. Ie. the effecient use of energy. A Psion on the opposite end, is so use to using energy, that as a generalization, don't know what useful to do with it other than throwing energy balls at each other. Most have not refined their work to be effecient at what energy they use. They take the tack of "programming" the energy to do X, rather than figuiring out an effecient way of accomplishing the same task from a more esoteric approach. A Ritual mage spends most of his time RAISING energy to a useful point. A direct magic system, depending on what flavor your talking about, can be on either side of the fence (ie. either on the ritual side (so the ritual is in their minds rather than using physical items) or on the psion side where they are not that indistinguishable from psionics).

Of the classifications, ritual, directed magic, and psionics, I would say Omnimancy would be in the Directed Magic catagory. One of the corner stones of Omnimancy is the techniques used to be able to put a vaste amount of power behind any casting we do. However, we also use techniques that make effecient use of that energy. So we get the best of both worlds of effieciency of magic (from more ritualistic roots), and the practical side of anytime anywhere casting (which psions also have). Then it's a matter of what can now be accomplished with this new power, that in old school traditions required a coven (or simular name) to accomplish. Then we find ways for an individual to artificially add more power and ability to things far past what a coven/group can do and the cycle continues.

A good analogy would be this. If your a person who lives 100 miles away from a city you wish to get to, you have several options. To simply walk would get you there, but you get worn out and it would take days, but that's your option. You could work out and increase your personal strength, which would get you there faster, and increase your stamina. This might be considered the psion way of increasing in power (and to a point one might argue for the same in certain magical systems to a point). Another option would be to ride a bike there. Effectient use of personal energy as well as getting there much faster. This might be considered the ritual magic method of getting there (those based on personal power/ability). The Omnimancy option would be to go by car. Very little personal expenditure of strength (you DO have to operate the controls you know. :) ) to accomplish the same result FAR faster than the other methods. One could argue that the ritual methods that summon entities, would result (in this analogy) in someone picking you up in anything from a two-man bicycle to a car as well. But since you aren't driving, they might just as easily decide to go site seeing along the way, and stop for all the rest stops and still might get you to pay for gas. The end result might not be any faster than the psion or other form of ritual mage.

If you wish to learn psionics, it's certainly a good starting point. But you should keep in mind that some of the limitations that psions teach aren't really there, and you can go far beyond them. Be open to further possibilities.

As far as learning Omnimancy, that you need to take up with Psyfactor since he runs the online group at this point.
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Thanks!

Postby DownRodeo » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to write such an in depth reply. Its interesting what you have said about omnimancy in comparison too psionics... I am rubbish at psionics, but im learning thanks to stormie :) i think all studies into energy and its uses are wonderful... And its even more wonderful when someone who as probably got much better things to do with their time, replies to me in such an in depth and informative manner...

Thanks again.
DownRodeo
Visitor
Visitor

Postby StormSeeker » Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:16 pm

*wanders in and flomps on DR* :D

On the surface, (or just by looking at the posted tutorials), it looks like omnimancy is very simular to psionics as you know it. And the some of the foundational techniques are identical.

Yep, I'll definitely agree with that. It too me to get to G1 level, before I began to realise that Omnimancy and Psionics weren't the same thing, or even similiar - they were more two paths which ran parallel to each other in places, but diverted off elsewhere, with Omnimancy often going extreme distances -away- from the psionics path (for example: "tech")

I had a gay ole time of it, trying to get my head around non-psionic stuff in Omnimancy, mainly because I think I was my own worst enemy and kept -trying- to parallel the two. :)

A Psion on the opposite end, is so use to using energy, that as a generalization, don't know what useful to do with it other than throwing energy balls at each other.

Ohh, I'm so glad you said 'generalisation' there, Art :P
StormSeeker
Advanced Student
Advanced Student

Postby FireEssence » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:21 am

Long time no see DR. ::Shakes hand:: See ya around the forums.
Igne Natura Renovatur Integra
FireEssence
New Student
New Student

Return to Open Magical Discussion