Login | Register

OT: Thought on politics

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
OT: Thought on politics

Postby Ogre » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:59 pm

Last night as I was standing in the kitchen making a couple hamburgers, something about the elections occurred to me. All this negative campaigning, along with much less moderate candidates, could have been planned.

Stay with me here, it isn’t that far fetched, and only requires you to believe that the republican and democratic parties (organizations of politicians) are working together to maintain there mutual power, and screw everyone else.

Negative campaigning has been sinking to new levels. In the just completed campaign for NJ governor, one of the candidates used an ad featuring the ex-wife of his primary opponent. This was the type of ad that polarized people, in this case generally pushing them to the opponent’s side because most voters thought it was in poor taste, and they did not want someone who would run an ad like that in office.

With less moderate candidates running, you get further polarization. The “other guy” looks more and more evil to each side, so they vote for the candidate who is in the other big party, because they REALLY do not like the guy in the other big party.

Especially here in NJ, people are always complaining about corruption. What is the best they generally can swing to get rid of it? Vote for the other guy.

Where am I going with all this?

In a lot of cases, the independent parties run candidates that appeal to a lot of voters, but they don’t get the votes. This has a lot to do with money, I will grant you, but with the big 2 parties making the other side look like the devil incarnate, many voters who would like to vote for an independent “can’t” because they can’t let “that guy” win.

Is it a bit of a stretch to say that they are working together? Probably, but you never know… Whether or not they are working together, they are working to maintain their monopoly on politics, and it is working.
-Ogre
Ogre
The Kinky Jesus
The Kinky Jesus

Return to General Discussion