Login | Register

Joining - Application process

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Joining - Application process

Postby Marowi » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:15 am

Hi all.

Apologies for my lengthy absense to all who noticed. A lot has happened in the past 6 weeks. I turned 17 ( :P ), met an amazing girl ( Now girlfriend :) ) and I finished school ( :D ).

Anyhow, to the point of this thread. I've read a few posts mentioning about applying for membership with Omnimancy. I was wondering how I went about this, or if it was even worthwhile. My experience is VERY limited, although I've been researching various energies for nearly 12 months now and experienced everyone from "DBZers" to, more recently, the lovely folks at Psiscape (Heya Storm). I hope that now I've finished school, I will have a lot more time to devote to Energy practise.

Thanks,
Marowi
"I've found the common link between apes and civilised men; it's us." - Konrad Lorenz
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Marowi
Visitor
Visitor

*waves*

Postby Obsidian » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:49 am

Yo Marowi
I didnt notice you were gone, but i did know you were busy ;)
Good work with the girlfriend (she's cute ;) )
You can apply via an email to LordArt, or through the application's thread in the "Open Magical Discussion" thread.
Dunno apart from that ;)
I've heard of a probationary time, where they all basically watch and see if you've got the right stuff for Omni (think Art mentioned it somewhere) but yeah, dunno :P
Good luck if you apply, i think you would be the right kind of person for Omni :)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby MageMindy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:26 am

Rather then emailing Arthur...
Open Magical Discussion -> New Omnimancer Application Form
Just answer the questions in a reply post and add anything else you feel you want to say.
Good luck!

-m-
Get a Taste for Magic, Lick a Mage!
MageMindy
Research Student
Research Student

Cancel

Postby Celiborne » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:46 pm

To whom it may concern, I withdraw my request to attend Omnicyber classes. Thanks
It is only at the meeting of knowledge and ignorance, of light and dark, that new understanding may be found: in the shadow.
Celiborne
Visitor
Visitor

Postby PsyFactor » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:46 am

Alright, celiborne - might have been best you post that on the application thread, but not a big deal.
PsyFactor
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Obsidian » Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:15 am

When do applications close?
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby PsyFactor » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:16 pm

They don't "close" - however everyone that will be considered for the next batch of new omnimancers have been sent letters inviting them to an interview.
PsyFactor
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Chimaira » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:05 am

Damn... I didn't get in :(
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."
Chimaira
Visitor
Visitor

Postby PsyFactor » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:57 am

Sorry, we generally do not accept those under 18.
PsyFactor
Research Student
Research Student

Postby Lightbringer » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:33 pm

Why is that?
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lightbringer
Visitor
Visitor

Postby LordArt » Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:12 pm

Why is that?

I was waiting for that question. :lol:

For me, the answer is obvious and rather disappointing that others don't seem to understand sometimes. But I also realize that a person who asks your question on the age subject probably hasn't thought past their own needs. An applicant (or those on that side of the fence), are only thinking about how to aquire knowledge, not what responsibilities that go with teaching knowledge. I come from the teaching side (obviously), and it's my responsibility to make sure that the students that are taken on are ready for the knowledge that we have to teach. Magic can be a dangerous thing in the wrong hands (and even more dangerous in the right ones. :twisted: ) :lol:

But seriously, a person who is under 18, generally hasn't experienced enough of life to be properly responsible for the power that comes with magic. At that age is it's own little surreal world. You have the very intense pressures of High School (which is enough to drive people insane in itself), pressures of parents and peers, etc. They haven't even set foot into the "real world" that isn't protected by their parents. A person at this age is finding themselves still. They are seeing how unfair life is, which isn't what has been taught to them growing up. They are trying to find where they are going in their lives. Many still hold to the concept that no matter what they do, their parents will get them out of it (that can manifest in many ways such as not taking their actions seriously because nothing seriously negative has happened to them dispite their best efforts. Nothing is irrevokable or beyond repair. Life just doesn't work that way.).

In a simple word, Maturity. The ability to take responsibility for ones actions, and to understand and accept the reprocussions of ones actions (weither they like or agree with the reprocussions or not). It's very easy to say someone does, it's a very different thing to actually understand what that means. Many people think they are ready and mature at the young age we are talking about. In the majority of cases, they aren't simple because they really don't have an understanding what it really means. Life hasn't made them have a true point of reference to understand yet, life hasn't made them make hard choices and see how bad things can end up, so they think a little more before making a choice. And until that happens, most simply aren't as ready as they think. I know the older people will read this and nod their head in agreement, and the younger will go "what are you talking about"? Which gets back to your question. The people at the age your talking about "just don't get it" as a generality, and won't get it until life gives them a point of reference. And it's not my responsibility to give them that point of reference.

Now, I will be the first one to say that not all people under 18 are immature, nor am I saying that all people over 18 are. That is certainly NOT the case in either instance. The difference is, the percentages that the person in question is mature enough to handle the responsibilities of magic go up drastically as they get older, but certainly don't guarentee it. It's a crap shoot accepting a new member, no matter the age. We just prefer better odds.

And yes, we have accepted people under 18 before(hence PsyFactor's answer of "generally"). In almost all cases, there has been some problems emotionally with the individual because of pressures outside of the Omnimancy group. Some were able to get it under control, others are still working on it. Another recently screwed up, and simply couldn't understand what the big deal was, and ended up leaving in a temper tantrum. So we are rather gunshy with "underage" applicants. People at this age have enough problems and pressures without us adding more, wouldn't you agree?

At this point, unless someone within the group, who is trusted, recommends to the group an underage person to the point of putting their own membership on the line, they probably won't get in. We just can't afford the wasted time and other problems it causes having to remove a younger member because we find they aren't ready based on thier actions. It's just always bad.

I hope that has shed some light on the subject for you.

Arthur
LordArt
Head Omnimancer
Head Omnimancer

Postby Lightbringer » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:29 pm

*curses his immature peers who wreck the reputations of to many teens*

:cry: I understand, I'm still quite disappointed that, after possibly finding the best source of esoteric knowledge on the net, I need to be 2 years older to get in.

Ah well, I guess I'll apply in 2 years then.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.
Lightbringer
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Chimaira » Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:52 pm

I see exactly where you are coming from and exactly what you mean Art. Often I notice this in my peers and think about their maturity, intelligence, responsibility levels, etc. It intrigues me how low some of these levels can be, which completely makes clear your statement about the "wasted time."

High school and my own life pressures indeed are high, but having them only makes me persist harder until I overcome them. Whether it be my girlfriend situation (which, as StormSeeker could tell you, I've had some problems with, but sorted them out in a couple days) or a big high school report, life does slam teenagers in the face every now in then. Personally, I believe it is the responsibility of the teenager to rise up to the occasion. It was his/her fault in the first place to have been given so many pressures. One does not need a girlfriend or boyfriend, or job, or huge social life to interfere with school related pressures, only heightening them. Personally, if the teenager in question doesn't have the capability to make his or her own decisions and rise to the occasion, he should kept on a leash no longer than 5 ft long.

Basically, I'm saying that I completely understand what you mean and how such things do, infact, affect the application process. Honestly, I know you may not know me, but I am a responsible teenager; contrary to many others in my age group. I don't run to daddy or mommy everytime problems arise. I wasn't raised like that. My father has put me on my own for quite some time now. If I need or want something, I do it and supply it myself. The only thing he supplies me is food and a roof to live under. However, I am currently paying all my own bills (car, cellphone, etc. etc.) and am working through it all with a steady paying job, all the while going to high school.

I know this probably won't, in the slighest sense, change your choice, but I thought I would say it anyway.

Thank you for your time. See you in a year, I guess. *bows head*

-Matt
"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."
Chimaira
Visitor
Visitor

Postby Marowi » Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:40 am

I've been away again; it happens.

Anyway, just writing back to thank you all for the clarifications. I too am 17, and whilst I won't go into "how immature I think my peers are" (which I see as immature in itself..), I do believe you have a valid point.

I'll still be reading and positng these forums, and chatting with the friendly folks over at Psiscape, and I'll most likely apply at the end of '04, when I turn 18.

That's all for now, see you all around.
Marowi
"I've found the common link between apes and civilised men; it's us." - Konrad Lorenz
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams
Marowi
Visitor
Visitor

Postby hybridweb » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:55 pm

I guess I will apply in 3 years then. But I'll keep learning on my own, in the meantime.

I think it is rather wise of you to usually not accept people under the age of 18. As you said, many of us are immature, and do stupid things, so putting extra powers in their hands would probably be a bad thing. I don't believe that I personally would use Omnimancy for anything wrong, because I have been brought up that way. I have been in martial arts for 8 years now, and have a black belt, so I have a good idea of the responsibilities of power. People always ask for demonstrations, or, as has happened once, try to hire you as some kind of psuedo-assassin, which is moronic. Demonstrations are bad because either somebody gets in the way and gets hurt, or somebody gets very egotistical, and wants to fight. Not good.

So yeah. I totally understand what your concerns are, so I'll be back in 3 years, when I'm 18! Until then, I'll be on this board a lot.

Evan
hybridweb
Visitor
Visitor

Next

Return to General Discussion