Login | Register

Egypt

Forum to Discuss whatever is on your mind!

Moderators: Contrary, Ogre, LordArt

• Author
Egypt

Postby Obsidian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:24 am

I've decided I want to start studying Ancient Egyptian.. Things. Namely culture, mythology, religion, magic, architecture.

I know we have a few people interested in the Egyptian pantheon here and I was hoping to get some book recommendations. Anyone?

Let's start with Religion and Mythology, then Culture. And... Go!
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Re: Egypt

Postby JPo » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 am

It's hard to go wrong with:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gods-God ... 81&sr=1-21

Bob Brier's book on Egyptian magic is also a classic. He's an academic, not an occultist and this adds to his credibility:
http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian- ... 011&sr=8-4

This book is a classic but not without flaws. However Brier is very accessible and has done some great documentaries on PBS etc.

If you're looking for an accessable history text, take a look at:
http://www.amazon.com/Temples-Tombs-Hie ... 36&sr=1-23
The author writes the Amelia Peabody mystery series, and it's a great non-academic overview of Egyptian history and culture.

I hope this gets you started!

Jim
JPo
Head of OmniCyber
Head of OmniCyber

Postby Obsidian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:24 pm

Wow, thanks! So prompt too!

I checked out all three and if I pick them up in various levels of second-hand I can get them all for $25! That's so good! The occult bookshop near where I live sells most books between $30 and $80 which is just a little too steep for an initial investment.

Hopefully I can order them ASAP! Thanks again! =)
"Nothing is more amazing than getting the shit kicked out of you by something you didn't believe existed" - David.
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Postby Obsidian » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Finally got some of the books!

I got the "Ancient Egyptian Magic" by Bob Brier, as recommended.

Also picked up (at a random second-hand book store for cheap) a copy of "Myths & Legends Of Egypt" by Lewis Spence (ISBN 1-85958-047-5). Haven't read past the introductions for either yet because they both landed in my hands yesterday but I'm quite excited.

Still need to get the other two that were recommended here.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Obsidian
New Student
New Student

Return to General Discussion